Saturday, February 12, 2011

Seedy Notes

     One of the foremost reasons to write this blog is for my own record keeping.  The journal thing became tedious, lugging a notebook around while gardening.  Little notepads worked fine, though piles of notes get jumbled, or lost.  Going back over copious notes becomes tedious.  Getting pictures to match up with notes on my computer is a skill that I don't currently possess.  Except when using this blog.  Where it becomes easy.  Easy to reference past posts with labels.  So this blog will have some note keeping functions for me, such as this post which will be some notes about the current seed starting process.



The garlic started from last fall from puny cloves is doing well.  They should be planted outside next week when the weather is expected to improve.  The Ice Bred Arugula on the right can also go in a cold frame.  Will free up a whole flat for new stuff.





 

  The radicchio that was so beautiful last year is starting to sprout.  It was part of a Mesclun mix, the only thing that lasted through the summer heat.  So this year, I actually started plants from straight seeds.  Hope it equals last year's performance and beauty.





     The seedlings on the porch look better than they appear in this washed out photo.  I believe the cool porch temperature keeps their growth rate slow and prevents them from becoming leggy.
     I gave up on the Prizehead lettuce this morning.  Planted Windsor Fava Beans in the same cells.  Will certainly be no trouble telling them apart if the lettuce comes up late.  Fava beans are unusual in that they can go out in the garden in cool weather.  Cold actually.  Gave up on the Baby Romaine as well, and planted Little Marvel peas in the same cells.  Peas can be started outside here in a month, so these will have a good head start when transplanted.
     Basil is usually very tough for me to get started.  But, I have lots of nice tiny sprouts emerging.  That seed was planted 2/4/11.  Parsley is also usually tough for me, but those seeds too are just starting to unfurl after having been started 2/2/11.  No pictures for either.


In the cardoon / artichoke race, the cardoon on the left has a slight head start on the artichokes.  The cold temperatures on the porch will hopefully trick the artichokes into fruiting in their first season (vernalization).  What will you bet that it does not work?

   The weather is supposed to start to warm up a bit, with next week maybe hitting the 60's.  Hopefully last night's low in the low 20's will be the coldest of the year till next December.  At least that is my hope.  Time to plant soon directly in the cold frames.  George

1 comment:

  1. Your cold frames are well organized!
    I've never try cold frames since the climate in where I live, Osaka is less cold with less snow accumulation than in your place.
    But the last heavy snow gave me an opportunity to change my idea.
    I hope your sprouts will be re-planted in your garden outside soon after it's getting warmer.

    ReplyDelete