Saturday, December 17, 2011

Last of the Radishes

      One of the main reasons I keep this blog is for my own garden record keeping.  Being able to include pictures is a huge additional bonus.  I had recently read that radishes will go pithy when exposed to hard frosts, so this morning I picked all of the remaining mature radishes.  Scanning back through September blogs, I see that I planted the seed on September 12th.  There, actual proof of the value of the blog.  The planting worked out perfectly, as I have harvested the best radishes I have ever grown.  They certainly do well growing into the cool weather as they mature, rather than growing into hot weather with a spring crop.  Three plantings a week apart starting on September 1st would probably be perfect.  

The end of the radish crop, 12/17/11
Trying to be a twofer
      I will really appreciate this end of the crop, knowing that a spring crop is months away.  But to have radishes well into December has been great.

No comments:

Post a Comment