Saturday, January 21, 2012

Be Careful What You Wish For

      Wow.  The paper towel germination method!  There have been times that no basil came up from a planting in cell packs.  Well these basil seeds are certainly coming up.

Boy did they sprout,  1/20/2012


A little closer, 1/20/2012
      Whoops, we have a little problem.  The shoots are doing so well, that they have rooted right through the paper towels.  Little white roots on the other side of the towel.  A picture would not really show the roots against the white towel, so you will have to believe me when I say, "I should have done this earlier".  So now it is too late to remove the sprouts from the towel, so we will plant them towel and all.


      With this method, I teased the towel into little pieces, then covered up those pieces with some dirt.  The towel will rot away, and I may try to divide the plants later.

Plan B,  1/20/2012
      Having quickly realized that Plan A was quite tedious, I moved on to Plan B.  I cut the towel into bigger pieces, then placed those pieces over dirt.  Then I sprinkled dirt over the sprouts, trying not to bury them.  If Plan B works, I will have very successfully delayed my greatest time requirement to another day.  Pretty clever, kidding myself.  So easy too.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, George, and my absolute favorite herb has arrived in style. Your sprouts look wonderful. I assume your plan is to plant them to your garden eventually, but I wonder, could the sprouts be eaten already, as in a salad of those productive greens? Your header is worth the jump over here, daily.
    Love your site. oh, I know you're in zone 7A. That could put you anywhere south of mid-country. Happy for you to have such warm weather already.
    BlessYourHeart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dar, I did snitch one the basil sprouts to eat. Was not real basil flavor, as I suspect it needs the dry summer heat to get that great flavor. The next problem will be how to keep the little plants happy for quite some time. I am in Delaware, which may be relatively warm compared to Wisconsin, but it is definitely the cold frames that are keeping the salad greens happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi 4Bs. I started the basil this early because I did not have great expectations for germination. Thought I might have to try again. But wham, lots and lots germinated. Great pesto comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete