Thursday, January 5, 2012

Reflections on 13 cold Degrees

      The low of 13 degrees F yesterday morning certainly put a hurt on a lot of the unprotected crops.  While the lettuce in the following picture does not appear to be dead, it certainly does not look delectable.

Black Seeded Simpson, Red Sails lettuce and chickweed,  1/5/12




      I never got around to digging up the two nice artichokes that were left in the ground.  So now the experiment is to see if they will overwinter.  They are supposed to here in Zone 7A, but I might throw on some shredded leaves just for good measure.  I do have a potted artichoke on the porch which certainly should do fine.  Maybe next year will be the first harvest.

Not so happy artichokes,  1/5/12
Celery looks better than expected,  1/5/12
Uncovered red lettuce survived,  1/5/12
Latest cold frame a success,  1/5/12
Happy protected lettuce,  1/5/12
Tomorrow's pickings
      Word is out that I still have fresh lettuce.  I'm in charge to provide greens for a salad for twelve for a party tomorrow.  Look for me here in the early afternoon.  In January.  Gotta love it.

1 comment:

  1. I'd never had loose leaf lettuce until I planted it in my greenhouse this year and I am addicted. Yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete