Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Plant Rescue 103A - Onions

Onion Bed,  3/12/2012
      Last fall I replanted the onions from the summer harvest that were too small or too soft to want to keep.  Over the winter, many of them split into multiple stems, like the largest onion clump in this picture.  The red and white onions have split much more than the yellow onions.  I dug up the multiple onions:


      Then carefully pulled them or cut them apart to individual stems.  Often the outside of the onion was very soft and mushy, and had to be pulled off and composted.  This is the collection of cleaned up stems:


      These would have made nice green onions to eat, but I wanted to put them back in the ground.  I trimmed off a lot of the roots, leaving about an inch.  Tops were not trimmed, but probably could have been as the other gardeners who buy onion slips to plant receive them with trimmed tops.

Separated and replanted onions,  3/12/2012
      This is my first attempt at dividing and replanting onions, garlic, and shallots.  Anybody have any experience or expectations as to what will happen?

1 comment:

  1. I think you will do well with this! I was looking at all my tomato seeds and others that I started last week. They Are starting to pop right up!

    ReplyDelete