Thursday, August 30, 2012

Oh Butternut

      I had not grown butternut squash in a few years, so when my daughter Emily suggested I take half of her four pack, I eagerly accepted the offer.  I truly do not believe she meant me or my garden any ill will.

Butternut squash harvest, August, 30th, 2012
      I knew they would get unruly.  They did not disappoint.  They went over the little fence, and up onto the leaf mold pile.  Making the pile unavailable for the summer.  Since there were not a lot of little squash still forming, I decided to rip out the plants this morning.

More butternut squash
Left one butternut vine to trellis
There, all yanked out.  Much better.

      I was smart enough to harvest the squash to my garden cart from the beginning pick.  What a good idea, as it would have been many trips back to the deck otherwise.

Total haul, 25 butternut squash!
      Thanks Emily, it was quite a haul.  If we eat one a week, that's about half a year of squash!  And that does not include the acorn squash that should be coming in over the next few weeks.
      I will gladly trade a butternut squash today for some pumpkin cookies Tuesday.  Any takers?

2 comments:

  1. Oh my...I hope you like butternut squash! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really did have a nice haul, George! I am envious, I love butternut squash. I like to cut it into cubes and roast it in the oven with a bit of olive oil. My husband and I will eat the whole pan, it is like eating candy.

    I need to put this on my list for next year. Now if I just can find the space to allow for them to vine...

    ReplyDelete