Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Sugar Baby Watermelon

      I have had a vegetable garden in some form or another for 38 years.  In that time, I had never grown an edible watermelon during the few times that I had ever planted them.  But I had some seed for Bush Sugar Baby watermelons, so I gave it a try.  Of the three different "hills" I put in, only one produced a watermelon.  The vine had died back, so yesterday I picked the melon.  This morning I cut it in half, expecting a bleached out pink tasteless melon.  I was pleasantly surprised to see a nice deep pink


and was even more pleasantly surprised to discover that it had great flavor too.  Yes seeds, but that is the way that all melons were in the good old days.  So after all these years, I have grown my first decent watermelon.  I will get more seed for next year.  And I will probably try one more time to grow my first successful cantaloupe.

No comments:

Post a Comment