Thursday, November 22, 2012

Smokin for Thanksgiving

      My neighbor Rick has a neat gizmo for smoking foods, and he has been kind enough to let me take things to his house to smoke when he has the fire going.

Rick's smoker,  November 21st,  2012
      This neat smoker reminds me a lot of a steam engine.  The fire is maintained in the smaller drum off to the right.  The fire heat and smoke enter the larger drum where they are connected.  The food is therefore not on top of open flame, so you don't have to worry about flare ups the way you do cooking on a grill.  I bought a turkey and a nice slab of salmon to smoke, and decided to experiment with some sweet peppers and garlic cloves.  The dill is from some plants I potted up and moved to the porch.

Salmon, peppers and garlic cloves

      There is my turkey in the back right corner, with Rick's pork loin in front.  He also had bought a bunch of turkey wings and legs at the store.  They probably smoke more thoroughly as they are smaller pieces.  The turkey neck that I included had very little meat, hardly worth that experiment.

We be smokin
       Rick threw on a large salmon fillet he had bought.  I know that will be delicious as the taste test we did on my salmon last night was a resounding AH, yummy.  In just a few hours, we will eat our smoked turkey, as well as his friend that was cooked in the traditional manner in the oven.  With two turkeys, we get double the giblets in the gravy!  And enough left overs for everybody to take home.  Simply scrumptious.
       Gobble, gobble.  Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment