Monday, December 3, 2012

Gardens are for Giving, Maybe also for Receiving

      My daughter Barb is so busy with her house, three kids, her husband, a job, and a study load for a Masters Degree, that she has no time for gardening.  Did I mention two big dogs and a cockatiel also live there?  Yet last year they put in cold frames and loved the extended harvest.  I have been hoping to get down to her house to plant some veggies in her frames, and it happened that my wife was down there and could help me transplant.  The voles have been chomping plants to the ground in my frames, so in self defense, I thought I would move some of the crop to a location where it might survive.

Transplants from Pop,  December 3rd,  2012
      This year has been a bust for volunteer veggies due to the drought in mid summer preventing a lot of self seeding.  And of course I procrastinated and did not plant all of the fall garden stuff that I wanted to get started.  But some of the arugula and red lettuce that I had started were on the short side of the cold frame where they would touch the glass.  And therefore freeze to the glass when the weather gets colder.  So I figured if I should dig those out, I could give Barb a very good start.  The picture above shows stuff I dug out of my two gardens: dill, thick stem chinese mustard, black seeded simpson lettuce, chives, garlic plants, and escarole.  And lots of Barb's beloved arugula.
      Barb and Rob had raked a bunch of leaves into the cold frame beds, so it was an easy job to rake them back out to have a nicely prepared bed to receive the transplants.

Thank you Barb and Rob
In they went
And a second frame
      Mission accomplished.  Grow well my little veggies.
      Today, in early December, the temperature hit a wonderful 63 degrees.  So I had to go back to the park to putz around and clean things up.  Bob King was there today.  Bob had some plots at the park nearly thirty years ago when they first started up the community gardens.  He was standing next to a plot that had lettuce, spinach and beets. 

About to be plowed,  December 3rd,  2012

           I asked him what he was up to.  
           "Cleanin up", he says.  Said he was coming back tomorrow to plow everything under for the winter.
           " Bob, you can't do that.  Would you mind if I dug some of this stuff up for my cold frames".
           "George, have all you want.  I am just going to till it in in the morning".

      I grabbed my shovel, borrowed a wheel barrow, and started loading transplants onto my truck.


      Red oak leaf lettuce on the left, spinach in the middle, and cos lettuce on the right.  I went back over to Bob and asked him why he was tilling under the spinach.  I told him the spinach should survive the winter, though the lettuce would turn to mush with a hard freeze.  So I won the spinach a reprieve.  He will till around it to see what happens in the spring.  I hope that spinach prospers.
      So in the morning I gave Barb a bunch of transplants from my garden.  But by the afternoon, I had been rewarded aplenty, with loads more than I started with.  Barb, you want some more goodies?

1 comment:

  1. You have been one busy gardener. It is much too early, too cold by us even with this unseasonally warm winter we are having. I would love a salad bowl full of that beautiful red oak leaf lettuce. One of my favs mixed with spinach. mmmmMmmmm
    Also, I see you have your very own Eagle. Aren't they fantastic.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete