Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Red-tailed Hawk on Vole Patrol

      The Cornell Lab of Ornithology states that the Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) is probably the most common hawk in North America.  Several of the hawks have staked claims to perches over at Bellevue Park to keep an eye out for voles.  They may certainly have all they want.  I saw two different hawks by the gardens within a twenty minute span.  Hopefully they were well rewarded.

Hawk perched along busy I-95
A blend of nature and tech,  December 4th,  2012






How does he balance?
      The red tail only shows as the bird flies away from you, as the red coloration is on top of the tail.  I was not lucky enough to get that fly away shot today.

Different hawk, same day
      This second hawk is probably a young bird, as his belly is not so white and you can see the bars on his tail.  Hope he stays around at the park and enjoys all the voles I provide.

1 comment:

  1. It seems like we have an overabundance of hawks around here in the past few years. One of our little kitties disappeared, and I sure hope it wasn't taken by a hawk...I'll send it southeast to get some of your voles! :)

    ReplyDelete